These are Gwen's Tens favorite general books or book series for nurses:
- Made Incredibly Easy - series of nursing books with great graphics, very easy to read. These are my favorite books for learning and reference. There are many topics in the series and a must for visual learners.
- Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions, 9th Edition or Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary - a medical dictionary is a must have for the reference library of any nurse or healthcare professional.
- ACLS Study Guide by Barbara Aehlert and PALS Pediatric Advanced Life Support Study Guide by Barbara Aehlert - these are well written and easy to follow guides to help you study for ACLS and PALS.
- Just the Facts, 4th Edition A Pocket Guide to Basic Nursing By Veronica Peterson, BA, RN, BSN, MS - this is a nice pocket guide that covers all of the nursing basics. It's my personal favorites of the general nursing pocket books.
- Mosby's NoteCards - these are great spiral bound cards to help you study or to use as a reference. They come in many topics i.e. Assessment, Pharmacology and Fluids & Electrolytes.
- Nursing2014 Drug Handbook by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- BarCharts Quick Study Guides - these are wonderful quick guides in 2-4 laminated page layouts and comes in many health and nursing topics.
- Mosby's Pocket Guides Book Series - offers many topics i.e. Pediatric Assessment, Nutritional Assessment, and Nursing Skills and Procedures.
- The Notes Series -most of these are spiral bound and they offer many topics i.e. MedSurg Notes. IV Therapy Notes and LabNotes.
- Core Curriculum Books - if you work in a nursing specialty there should be a Core Curriculum that is usually associated with your specialty's nursing organization. Check on the organization's website to see how you can purchase the book. It will be one of the most comprehensive reference books for your specialty.
Bonus: Best Summer Reading for Nurses